Saturday, March 19, 2011

It's a Dogs life,

by Erik C Petterson on Tuesday, March 15, 2011 at 9:52am

Years ago, when I was roughly 23 or 24,
I had an opportunity to dress up as a large canine (like the dog who takes a bite out of crime) and appear before a group of children at a church meeting. It was strictly volunteer to help a friend out and I didnt do any talking, as my friend gave the presentation. I was there as a "visual aid". After the meeting, I stepped out side the Church, and several of the church children approached me out on the Church Lawn. One began asking me questions, and soon they all chimed in asking me questions, then the questions became demands and the demands became orders; "ordering me" to remove my head or my costume. They weren't happy with my reply, as I politely told them "No", nor did they appreciate an unknown  man's voice coming from a Dog costume, so they began laughing at me, while kicking me in the shin's, stomping on my feet, pulling my tail, and kicking me in the rear end.  (Yes, "church kids", wonders of modern parenting). My cries for HELP were ignored by the parents and laughed at by the children as they collectively knocked me over, continually kicking and punching me. They proceeded to remove my larger than life "Dog Head", when my buddy finally came out side (after being congratulated by the church elders) and saw me on the ground getting my butt kicked by little kids. He saved me. One or two stray neighborhood kids  ran up and kicked at me too,( like an Indian counting coupe)  wanting to feel superior and  bravely boast how they helped toppled the DOG MAN at the local Church. My Point? Well, Adults like children can react to a stranger much the same way. It justs takes a single individuals act of violence, or outrage, to spur the crowd into motion. A collective Mob mentality. And once they have realized the ease in which they can attack their prey they just won't stop until, blood is spilled, someones beaton, raped, dead or dying. In other words "total Victory."   If there is no voice of reason to prevail, no powerfull intervention, then these goals can be realized by the Mob.  I can tell you how frightening it was for me to be set upon by children while adults milled about nearby, thinking it was "cute",  laughing as their Christian children beat down a man in a dog costume. Conclusion: It only takes a spark to get a fire going. and when one disgruntled person opens their mouth to pass judgment on a man or woman's dress or mannerisms, this one comment can be easily "absorbed" by people in the group then potentially escalate from words to actual physical violence directed at the person or persons who were negatively "targeted."   Did I deserve to get beaton down like a "Dog"? (pardon the pun) And, I might add, "beaton down in front of a church, by CHILDREN, as parents ignorantly watched!?"

2 comments:

  1. WE HAVE THIS STORY IN COMMON...!

    I was the big fuzzy Easter Bunny parachuting onto a Mall parking lot with 5,000 sunday school brats.. but I was being paid by the Mall... Same results...

    Where you went wrong..? You needed to have some kind of kids surprizes in a bag to distribute to orderly children in a line.

    IF you were being paid...? The parents would NOT have let the children molest you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Inspired by Erik C. Petterson

    http://www.widowmarypschantag.is/

    http://www.thisainthell.is/

    ReplyDelete