Saturday, March 19, 2011

How many Milligrams is your Babysitter?

by Erik C Petterson on Wednesday, March 16, 2011 at 10:35am
 When I was in Germany some years back, my German friends were shocked when I told them that the Doctor perscribed an Anti-depressant to me with out a physical exam, blood work  or further testing...just took my word that I was "depressed", and gave me a solution: "Prozac"; one of many anti depressants. My European civilian friends couldn't believe that the Doctors weren't going to test futher for perhaps a chemical imbalance, dietery issue, or perhaps some other illness that could be causing my depression etc.. Apparently in Europe, Doctors still want answers and explanations for behavioral and emotional dissorders, before jumping to conclusions by perscribing medication, as they don't wish to perscribe the "wrong medication". (Not every Medication works for everybody and in every circumstance, by the way).   My German friends urged me (fell on deaf ears) to seek another physician (Army doctors say and do the same thing, where was I to go?). Or perhaps that I should take a natural-herbal non pharmeceutical approach ( i.e., St. Johns Wart, Vallarian, etc. at the herbal vitamin store).  Naturally I ignored them, thinking the Military health care system and it's team of trained physicians knew best. Well it turns out,  not just the military but civilian practioners dont have a clue. Especially since our Nation and our Military has more people with behavioral, emotional and mental disorders, then we do physicians or counselors to treat them. Our Nation is swamped, over filled and under staffed to perform "one on one" treatments for each individual person. So "pills" are the immediate answer, pills to help "manage you" until such a time when someone qualified, and not multitasking can attend to you.  A friend of mine is currently in his own "la la land" with all the Anti-"this and that" Medications he is currently taking.  I can see a big difference when he is "off" them as opposed to "on" them. Sure, taking Medication is a trade off  between a numb, dopey life, as opposed to freaking out over small stuff.  I for one have temper issues and misplaced anger due to PTSD.  My buddy has "explosive employee syndrome." (that's another story in itself)  The drugs I take, for example, keep my explosiveness nominally at bay. But the drugs also rob me of what little Joy, and emotions I have left. The very feelings and emotions I am struggling to maintain, are further erroded away, and numbed by the perscription drugs given to suppress my anger! They add to my general dispair. (I am currently five or six different Medications removed from my original perscription of prozac). American Doctors have a love affair with pharmeceutical companies. They appear to be issuing out anti-depressants like candy. The Doctors aren't treating the patients. They just help them cope, and keep the patient managable. Doctors perscriptions are submerging the anger and frustration people are having. Dispensing MED's may be considered "practicing medicine", but it is certainly a far cry from being a caring concerned physician or psycho therapist who is diligently seeking a cure. This is irresponsible drug pushing, pill peddling, providing our former service members and our Nation with placebo "babysitters."   One day there will be a Volcanic explosion of human anger throughout our Nation, a rupture within the flesh and spirit of our society such has never been seen. "A Reckoning"...... I want a cure and help, not a babysitter drug.....

No comments:

Post a Comment